Original Medieval Charter recording the sale of land in Chell by Anne “who was the wife of Adam de Whethales” [died 1315] to Richard, son of William de Chelle, with notice of the annual rents payable, and other demands “saving foreign service of the Lord king”, and the names of witnesses. In Latin. Vellum 6 x 9 inches, folds and creases, some worm holes, generally in good condition, with a complete seal in dark wax on tag. With a separate typed English translation (400 words) from the Latin. Dated possibly within a few years after 1315. “… we will warrant against all men in perpetuity and will defend from henceforth to the same Richard and his heirs of the common rights within the vill of Chelle as in woods and green fields moors meadows and in water mills and fish in all places in the vill aforesaid.” Chell is now a suburb of the city of Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire. There is no mention of Chell in the Domesday Book, it is believed to have come under the lands of Wolstanton. The earliest written record of Chell comes from 1212, by which time Chell had already been split into Little and Great Chell. Prior to 1212 the lord of the manor was Adam de Audley. He was succeeded by his son Henry de Audley who in 1212 confirmed in writing his father’s decision to award one third of Chell to Robert Blund when giving him a further 14 acres ‘in the wood between Chell and Thunstal’. Henry de Audley later gave the remaining two-thirds of Chell to Richard of Hanley, who is recorded under the name Richard Chell c.1230. Chell is now a common family name in north Staffordshire.