MINTON, Herbert. 13891

£200

Description

An interesting Autograph Letter Signed, to Mr. Goode [Thomas Goode] of South Audley Street, offering wholesale lots of ceramic “Garden Labels”, on which the names of plants can be painted, sending samples, and describing the process of manufacture. 3 pp. 9 x 7 inches, fine. Stoke upon Trent, 3 November 1845. “… passed through an intense fire of 48 hours duration, so that the material becomes semivitrifed, and will bear any quantity of moisture or change of atmosphere without the least injury, in short they are imperishable …” Herbert Minton (1793-1858), pottery manufacturer. The combination of Pugin’s designs and Minton’s technical skill led to important commissions that included the Houses of Parliament; St Georges Hall, Liverpool; and Cheadle Church, Staffordshire. Other important and ambitious tile schemes executed by the Minton factory were for the Capitol, Washington, DC; the Foreign Office, London; the royal dairy, Windsor; and the South Kensington Museum, London (now the Victoria and Albert Museum). By the 1840s the Minton factory was producing a range of figures, ornamental ware, and encaustic floor tiles. During the mid- to late 1840s Herbert Minton developed Parian body (named after the Greek island of Paros) for statuary, and low-temperature lead glazes that Minton named majolica. Both majolica and Parian were launched at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and contributed greatly to Minton’s being awarded the bronze council medal—a most prestigious accolade—for ‘beauty and originality of design’, the only one of its kind bestowed on an English manufacturer. [ODNB]