INDIA. East Indies Commission,1840. 17889

£150

Description

Original Vellum Commission, printed and completed in manuscript, signed by Sir Jasper Nicolls, Commander in Chief in the East Indies, appointing Captain Charles John Richardson, East India Company, to be Captain in the Queen’s Army in the East Indies. Countersigned by Lt. Col. John Luard, Military Secretary. 10 x 15 inches, red wax seal afixed, in very good condition. Calcutta, Bengal, 13 August 1840. General Sir Jasper Nicolls (1778-1849) fought at Corunna in Major-General Rowland Hill’s brigade. Saw further service in India as quartermaster-general. Received K.C.B. for his services at Bhurtpore (1825). Commander-in-Chief at Madras 1838, transferred to Bengal 1839. Lieutenant-Colonel John Luard (1790-1875), the Military Secretary, served with the 16th Light Dragoons as Lieutenant at the battle of Waterloo, and as Captain at Bhurtpore in 1825. Charles John Richardson was born at Negapatam, Madras, on 30 September 1808, the son of Francis Richardson, Esq., Commercial Resident at Nagore, and his wife Lady Elizabeth Richardson, tenth daughter of the 1st Earl Winterton; and the grandson of William Richardson, Esq., sometime Accountant General of the Honourable East India Company. Commissioned Ensign on 13 May 1825, he was posted to the 57th Native Infantry, was promoted Lieutenant on 18 July 1828, and was appointed Instructor and Quartermaster of the Regiment on 22 May 1833. He subsequently served as Adjutant from 22 June 1836 until 21 May 1841, and was promoted Captain on 7 January 1841. He was present at the Insurrection in Bundelkhand in 1842, and the engagement near Jaitpur, where he was slightly wounded. Appointed Assistant to the A.G.G. Bundelkhand, specially attached to Jhansi State, on 20 February 1843, he served as Second in Command, 5th Infantry, Gwalior Contingent, from 13 January 1844, and was Commandant, 4th Infantry, Gwalior Contingent, from 9 November 1849 until going on furlough in 1856. Promoted to Brevet Major on 11 November 1851, he died at St. Leonards-on-Sea on 17 February 1857.