BELL, John. 12284

£65

Description

Autograph Letter Signed, hoping that his correspondent, W.J.Broderip F.R.S., can use his influence on Bell’s behalf to obtain the commission for the sculpture of “a testimonial to Dr. Jenner”. 3 pp. 7 x 4½ inches, fine. 15 Douro Place, Victoria Road, Kensington, 16 November 1849. John Bell (1811-95), sculptor, produced the Guards’ Memorial (1858) in Waterloo Place, and the American group in the Hyde Park Albert Memorial (1873). He was also one of the first British sculptors to experiment in the use of polychrome and new materials such as terracotta, which again became popular at the end of the nineteenth century for symbolist and the ‘new’ sculpture.