Autograph Letter Signed ‘Charles Barry’, to “Dear Sir Charles”, about finding a stone contractor “for the stone required for the statue of Lander”, difficulties with the quarry which will affect the measurements of the statue, discussing different materials, Limestone, Portland, Caen, sandstone. 3 pp. 7 x 4 inches, in good condition. Westminster, 5 November 1850. An interesting letter by Sir Charles Barry (1795-1860), the famous architect, who moved to Westminster in 1841 to be near the construction of his great work, the Houses of Parliament. This letter could relate to Lander’s Monument in Truro. which was designed in 1835 by Philip Sambell. It celebrates the discoveries of the Lander brothers, Richard and John, including the discovery of the source of the River Niger in 1827. The brothers lived in Truro. The statue of Richard dates from 1852 and is by Neville Northy Burnard, sculptor. It commemorates his death during an expedition. The site was donated by Sir Charles Lemon.